Kadamat is 8 Kms long and 550 m wide at the broadest point. In addition
to the beautiful shallow lagoon on the west that forms an ideal
spot for water sports, there is a narrow lagoon on the east. The
best attractions are the long sandy beaches and the sand banks on
the southern tip for sun bath. Kadamat has been identified for staying
tourists with its tourists huts aesthetically situated in the coconut
palm groves in the beaches facing the lagoon. The place is ideal
for a real holiday that brings you away from the maddening crowd,
hustle and bustle of city life.
An uninhabited island, Bangaram is the only one open to foreign
tourists. The teardrop-shaped island has superb beaches and beautiful
lagoons. The wealth of coral formation (including black coral) attracts
a variety of tropical fish-angel, clown, butterfly, surgeon, sweetlip,
snappers and groupers. There are also manta and sting rays, harmless
sharks and green and hawkbill turtles. Windsurfing, scuba diving,
parasailing, water skiing and snorkeling. Deep-sea fishing is possible
on local boats with crew.
Kavaratti island presents beautiful calm lagoon forms an ideal spot
for water sport swimming and basking on warm sandy beaches. Marine
life exhibits can be seen at the marine aquarium which has excellent
collection of specimens.
Kalpeni Island is loved for its scenic beauty and the small islets
called Tilakkam & Pitti and an undomesticated island on the
north called Cheriyam. A huge shallow lagoon envelopes all of them.
A curious feature of Kalpeni atoll is the huge storm bank of coral
debris along the eastern and south-eastern shorelines. It is believed
that huge boulders were thrown up during a storm in 1847. It is
a progressive island; it was in this island that girls first went
to school, when women's education was considered a taboo with crew.
Minicoy Island is about 10.6 Kms long; it is the second longest
island in Lakshdweep, the first being Andrott. The crescent shaped
Minicoy Lakshadweep is the southern most island in Lakshadweep,
and has one of the largest lagoons. The light house of the island
is one of the oldest and was constructed in 1885.